Holiday decorating can be stressful for the body. Climbing ladders, bending, twisting, reaching, and lifting can aggravate back problems and lead to falls. No one wants to spend their holiday season with back pain. Follow the tips below to help avoid and relieve back pain from decorating. And if you do experience back pain from decorating, visit your chiropractor. Chiropractic adjustments and therapies are very effective at relieving back pain quickly so you can get back to enjoying the holidays!
- When decorating overhead, use a stool or ladder.
- Avoid holding the arms above the body for prolonged periods of time.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Use proper lifting techniques when lifting boxes of decorations:
- Bend at the knees, not the waist
- Avoid twisting
- Hold objects close to the body
- Perform a safety check in your home. Look for tripping and falling hazards.
- Remember to drink water. Sometimes we get caught up for hours and hours decorating and forget to drink water. This can lead to dehydration and muscle stiffness.
- If you get sore, apply ice to the affected area for 20 minutes. Then remove for at least an hour and repeat as necessary.
- If the low back or neck feel stiff, use the recommended low back and neck stretches on our wellness and prevention page.
- Get checked by a chiropractor. Chiropractors specialize in alleviating stress, tension, aches, and pains that accompany holiday decorating.
Source: The American Chiropractic Association www.acatoday.org/HealthTips
Photo credit to: 123rf.com