The shopping is finally all done and now it’s time to get the gifts wrapped. This can be a very time consuming project that can lead to back and neck pain. By the time everything has been wrapped, a couple hours have passed. And when we try to get up, what often times happens? We feel pain and stiffness in the neck and back. However, this neck and back pain can be avoided by following some easy tips and suggestions. And if you are experiencing back and neck pain, don’t let it ruin your holidays! Visit your chiropractor who can alleviate the pain naturally.
- Posture is key! Using good posture will decrease the stress on the spinal joints and surrounding muscles. As mom always said “Sit up straight.”
- Keep whatever you are wrapping directly in front of you so you are not leaning toward one side.
- Take breaks to stretch the neck and low back every 30 minutes. See our recommended neck and low back stretches.
- Remember to drink water. Dehydration will cause the muscles to get tighter.
- Tips for Sitting Correctly:
- Keep the feet resting flat on the floor or a footrest.
- Don’t cross your legs.
- Your knees should be at or below the level of the hips.
- Be sure that your back is resting against the backrest of your chair.
- Use a low back support or a rolled up towel behind the low back.
- Relax your shoulders and keep the forearms parallel to the floor.
- Tips for Standing Correctly:
- Bear your weight primarily on the balls of your feet.
- Keep the knees slightly bend. Avoid locking the knees.
- Keep the feet approximately shoulder width apart.
- Avoid bending forward at the waist.
If you follow these steps and still experience back or neck pain, visit your family chiropractor. Chiropractors specialize in helping relieve the neck and back stress and pain caused by wrapping improperly.
Source: The American Chiropractic Association www.acatoday.org/HealthTips
Photo credit to: wilkinsfarago.wordpress.com