Fatigue from loss of sleep is a common cause of many health problems during the holiday season. As wellness experts, chiropractors help patients take a different, natural approach to sleep problems.
Sleep is the body’s time to re-energize and recharge to get ready for the activities of the next day. Sleep loss leads to illness, poor mood, decreased productivity, and tension. With a hectic schedule of the holiday activities, sleep is often sacrificed.
Below are some easy tips to help you sleep better without the use of medications:
- Exercise regularly. Exercise promotes the release of chemicals that promote sleep. It is best to exercise earlier in the day as exercising can be stimulating and can keep you awake.
- Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages throughout the day. Caffeinated beverages include: coffee, tea, and soda.
- Eat an early dinner. Eating a large meal close to bedtime can keep you awake.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday - even on the weekend. This will help your body get into a routine sleep cycle.
- Keep your bedroom completely dark. Even a little light can throw off your sleep. If you get up during the night to go to the restroom, use as little light as possible while staying safe.
- Keep your bedroom cooler than 70 degrees fahrenheit. Research shows optimal sleeping temperature is 60-68 degrees fahrenheit.
- Use a proper mattress and pillow. Drs. Quintin and Katie Sleigh recommend a firm mattress and a pillow that holds your head in line with the spine and the rest of the body.
- Visit your chiropractor. Many times back and body aches and pains prevent people from sleeping. Chiropractors help to alleviate stress, tension, and pain so that you can sleep comfortably!
Source: The American Chiropractic Association www.acatoday.org/HealthTips
Photo credit to: freefitnesstips.co.uk