It’s that time of the year again! Everywhere we turn, we see the ‘Get Your Flu Shot Here’ signs. The ‘Gold Standard‘ of scientific analysis, the Coachrane Review, has published at least 5 reports between 2006 and 2010 that show that the flu shot is not the most effective way to avoid the flu. Even more eye opening is that The Cochrane Review has published 2 reports that state that the flu shot is not effective in children under 2 years of age. So what if you don’t want to get the flu shot and would prefer to help your family avoid the flu the natural way? Boosting the immune system is the most sure fire way to keep yourself and your kids healthy. In addition to getting plenty of sleep, washing your hands, avoiding touching door handles, avoiding sugar and reducing stress, here are 3 very effective ways to beat the flu this year.
– Dr. Ronald Pero, PhD at the NYU Cancer Research Center found that families under regular chiropractic care had a 300% increase in immune system function. (3)
– David Foelten, MD, PhD, professor of neurobiology and anatomy at the University of Rochester School of Medicine states “Nerve fibers go into virtually every organ of the immune system. We found that if you took the nerves away from the spleen or lymph nodes, you virtually stopped immune response in its tracks.”
– White blood cells, which eat and destroy bacterial and disease causing cells, are enhanced through chiropractic care. (2)
Chiropractic adjustments of the spine help relieve tension in the nerve system. The spine protects the nerve system which controls every function of the body. The nerve system controls the immune system. Interference in the nerve system caused by spinal misalignments and improper motion, can impair the function of the immune system. Chiropractors deliver specific adjustments to the spine to restore proper immune function so the body can fight infection and disease.
Vitamin D is a key component for immune system function. There have been various studies published linking low Vitamin D Vitamin D to boost immune systemlevels with increased risk of infection and illness. According to a 2010 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, children given a low dose of Vitamin D were 42% less likely to get the flu (1).
The best way to get Vitamin D is through sun exposure. When exposed to the sun, our skin is able to make Vitamin D naturally. However, especially during the winter in the midwest, most of us aren’t spending about 20 minutes in the sun with a substantial amount of our skin exposed. Therefore, it is important to supplement.
How much Vitamin D should I take?
While there are guidelines for the amount of Vitamin D that should be taken daily, it is important to monitor your 25 Hydroxy D serum levels. The serum level should be between 50-70 ng/ml.
When purchasing a Vitamin D supplement, be sure to get the active form, Vitamin D3. As far as dosage, Drs. Quintin and Katie Sleigh, Arlington Heights, IL chiropractors, typically recommend:
Adults: 5,000 IU’s/day
Kids 5-10: 2,500 IU’s/day
Kids under 5: 35 IU’s/ pound body weight/day
Thieves Essential Oil
Thieves Essential Oil is a blend of 5 different essential oils that are anti-infectious, antiviral, antibacterial, and antiseptic. In addition, this oil is effective at strengthening the immune system.
Here are the properties of each of the oils in the Thieves Oil blend:
– Clove:Immune enhancing, powerful antioxidant
– Lemon Oil: Powerful antioxidant, natural solvent and cleanser, supports circulation
– Cinnamon Bark: High in antioxidants, supports digestive system, relieves discomfort
– Rosemary Oil: Naturally energizing, helps to restore mental alertness when experiencing mental fatigue
– Eucalyptus Radiata: Highly antiviral, supports respiratory system, antibacterial
It is important to use a high quality essential oil that doesn’t contain any alcohol and is pure. One such brand is Young Living Products. Weber State University did research that showed the Young Living Thieves oil has a 99.96% kill rate against airborne bacteria. It has also been shown to interrupt the life cycle of bacteria and it interferes with the ability of viruses to replicate. Some of the most impressive research about Thieves oil was done at The University of Manchester. They found the Thieves oil killed 100% of MRSA. (4)
How do I use Thieves Oil?
Diffusing Thieves oil daily is a very effective way to purify the air to get the immune system boosting benefits of this oil. In addition, you can take deep breaths of the diffusing vapor. You can also rub it in your skin. However, it is recommended to dilute the oil with vegetable or jojoba oil before applying to the skin. Always test the oil on the feet to make sure that there isn’t a sensitivity.
1. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May;91(5):1255-60. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.29094. Epub 2010 Mar 10.
2. Brennan P, Graham M, Triano J, Hondras M. “Enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory bursts induced by spinal manipulation: Potential Role of Substance P.” J Manip Physiolog Ther 1991; (14)7:399-400.
3. Pero R. “Medical Researcher Excited By CBSRF Projected Results.” The Chiropractic Journal, August 1989; 32.
4. Young G, Chao S, Oberg C, Nakaoka K. “Inhibition of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by essential oils.” Flavour Fragr. J. 2008; 23:444-449.