The best way to keep your mind and body able to deal with the stress and tension of the holidays is to take care of yourself. By being proactive and making healthy choices, your body will be able to withstand the unavoidable stress of the holidays. When we don’t take care of ourselves, stress will affect us more. High levels of stress can lead to tension, a weakened immune system and illness. While stress may not be avoidable during the holidays, taking care of yourself will decrease the likelihood that you will experience negative stress symptoms.
Here are some health and wellness tips to keep your body strong and feeling good:
- Eat right, drink plenty or water, stretch, exercise, and take a few minutes to slow down and reflect on what the season is really about.
- Plan breaks every 45 minutes when shopping.
- When shopping at the mall, take trips out to the car throughout the day to drop off bags. Avoid carrying all your purchases all day from store to store.
- Try to avoid taking kids with you on shopping trips. Most kids don’t have the stamina for long shopping trips. This leads to more stress for you.
- Listen to music while wrapping gifts or preparing meals. Music, especially classical music, is a powerful stress relieving tool.
- Schedule massages during the holiday season to relieve muscle tension.
- Use meditation to calm your mind.
- Be sure to see your chiropractor regularly for adjustments to keep your body in line and relieve stress and tension in the back and body.
Source: The American Chiropractic Association www.acatoday.org/HealthTips
Photo credit to: psychologytoday.com