Sleigh Family Chiropractic can help relieve the pain and injuries from long hours of commuting and other driving in Chicagoland. The average daily commute here is 30 minutes each way. When you add travel time for appointments, sporting events and other social activities daily drive time can be hours.
Normally driving a car puts tons of stress on the low back, neck and shoulders. Then add the stress of snow, traffic and construction in Chicagoland and you have the recipe for low back, neck and shoulder pain as well as injury.
Our gentle and specific adjustment techniques can help relieve the stress and tension in the body. In addition, use these tips to position the body to possibly reduce stress and injury in the first place.
- Use proper posture. Sit upright with relaxed shoulders. Keep your arms close to the sides of your body.
- Keep your head resting against the headrest.
- Remove all items from your pockets.
- Adjust your seat. You should be close enough to the steering wheel that you can depress the pedals without moving forward from the back of the seat.
- Try to adjust your seat so that your knees are parallel to the hip or slightly below the hip.
- Use a low back support.
- Take a break to stand and stretch AT LEAST once every 2 hours on a long trip.
- Avoid gripping the steering wheel too tightly. This leads to decreased circulation and increased muscle tension.
If you find that your neck, shoulders or low back get stiff and sore after driving, please give us a call and see how we can help! 847-788-0880
Avoid or reduce other pain with our simple to do everyday stretches shown on our wellness and prevention pages.
Photo credit to: streetsblog.net